It’s quite fitting that my last post was a month ago and was all about priorities because prioritising is exactly what I’ve been doing recently and the net result is not a lot of exercise. Or at the very least not much focused exercise because I’ve still been running most days with Bracken. Sometimes life is just more important and the last few weeks that has definitely been the case as my mother in law passed away. Trying to get that interval session in suddenly seems less important.
But what I have been doing is trying to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon. As much as I hate the word this essentially means clean eating or at least my interpretation of it. Getting rid of sugar (I have such a sweet tooth so this is hard) and getting as many veggies into my diet as I can. Which is partly the reason for my current obsession with veggie burritos.
We’ve been having them at least once a week because they’re so easy to make and you can pack them full of flavour and a variety of tasty veg. They also fill you up nicely which is something I often struggle with when eating veggie. Waitrose do a really nice wild and brown rice mix that adds some flavour and is also much better for you than white rice.
It’s a really quick dish to make that can use any veggies you have available and you can add whatever salsa etc you want on top to suit your tastes. It also makes a lot of filling so even when we have 3 burritos each (2.5 is probably the optimum number to eat) there is loads left. I take this for lunches at work either as a burrito or just in a tub with some salad. It makes for the perfect post lunch time swim or run meal.
A big pile of veggies, whatever you want really. I normally include peppers, cooked sweet potato, onion, mushroom, kale and carrots but most things work.
Some wild or brown rice (150 -200g should do it)
Veggie stock cube (or chicken if you’re not bothered about it being vegetarian)
Spice mix – ground cumin, smoked paprika and chilli powder. You want about a 2:1:1 ratio.
Tortillas (I prefer whole wheat)
Grated cheese, Greek yoghurt and some home made salsa for serving.
- Chop the veggies up into relatively small pieces, you’re going to gently fry them so want them to be roughly equal size so they cook equally.
- Make up some stock with the stock cube and use to cook the rice, you want to have enough liquid that when cooked there is a little left.
- While the rice is cooking gently fry the veggies in some oil, Rapeseed is my preference, while they’re cooking sprinkle some of the spice mix on top.
- When the rice is cooked mix it in with the veggies along with some of the stock to keep everything moist. Taste and add some more of the spice mix if desired.
- Now you’re ready to serve, I like to warm the tortillas slightly in a frying pan before spooning the veggie mix on top. Then I add grated cheese, a good dollop of Greek yoghurt and some salsa. Fold/roll and you’re ready to eat. A true veggie burrito would be sealed on a griddle but I tend to just dig in.
P.S. If you want to know how to roll a burrito like the pro’s here’s a handy video for you.